Updated: Oct 4, 2021
Serves 4, 1 hour.
2 potatoes diced
1 large white onion
5 cloves of garlic
1tbs minced ginger
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp onion powder
2tbs curry powder
2tsp brown sugar
2tbs soy sauce
2tbs dark soy sauce
1tsp chilli flakes
200g coconut milk
400g vegetable stock
1. Wash and peel the vegetables ( potatoes, carrot, onion, garlic and ginger.
2. Dice into cubes.
3. Bring a saucepan to medium heat and add 1tbs of vegetable oil.
4. Add the vegetables.
5. cook for 5 minutes so they start to get some colour on them.
6. Add the dry seasoning (ginger, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, curry powder, chilli flakes and pepper)
7. Cook for 2 minutes mixing so all the vegetables are coated.
8. Add the vegetable stock and then top with water so the vegetables are covered.
9. Add the soy sauce, dark soy and sugar.
10. Bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are cooked (test by putting a knife into one of the cubes of potato and it should be soft).
11. Remove from the heat.
12. Use a stick blender to blend the sauce so it’s completely smooth.
13. Add the coconut milk and bring back to the heat.
14. Cook for 10 minutes so the sauce thickens.
15. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
16. Use in any katsu dish ( you could use to make chicken katsu, pork katsu or substitute if you are vegetarian or vegan by using vegetables such as aubergine, courgette or sweet potato).