Updated: Oct 4, 2021
Serves 3, 2 hours.
3 eggs (only 2 of the yolks)
1/2 cup self-raising flour
2tbs caster sugar
2 medium mixing bowls
Non-stick frying pan/ pancake pan
Pan lid (curved not flat)
Ice cream scoop
1. Separate the eggs into two separate bowls.
2. Into the egg yolks add the milk, vanilla and flour and mix until it forms a thick paste.
3. In the separate bowl using an electric whisk, whisk the whites until they form stiff peaks while slowly adding the caster sugar in 3 parts.
4. Add 1/4 of the egg whites to the paste and using a spatula quickly fold them in to loosen the paste until combined.
5. Add the next quarter of the egg whites and slowly fold them in making sure not to knock out the air.
6. Keep adding the remaining quarters while carefully folding in-between until all the whites are fully incorporated without over whisking as you don’t want to lose the air that was whisked into the whites.
7. Cover with clingfilm and leave to rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
8. Remove from the fridge and turn the stove to medium heat.
9. Rub the frying pan with vegetable oil so the pancakes don’t stick.
10. Once the pan is warm use the ice cream scoop to scoop 1-3 scoops of pancake mix (depending on the size of your pan as they will expand) into the pan to make sure they are all even in size.
11. After 1 minute cover with the pan lid and add 2tbs of water to the pan so they steam under the lid. (Be careful as the water could splash and would be very hot).
12. Turn the heat down to low and cook for 3 minutes.
13. Flip the pancake and cook for another 2 minutes.
14. Gently remove from the pan onto a plate.
15. And repeat the process until you cook all your pancakes.
Serve warm with the topping of your choice!