Updated: Oct 4, 2021
Makes 4 buns, 2 1/2 hours.
300g strong white flour
150g warm water
1tsp caster sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
25g caster sugar
(For the egg wash/ toppings)
1 egg yolk
1. In a measuring jug mix the warm water, yeast, milk and the 1tsp of caster sugar.
2. Leave for 5 minutes until it becomes foamy.
3. Add the flour, caster sugar, eggs and wet ingredients into a stand mixer.
4. Mix on medium speed for 10 minutes adding in the butter in little pieces at a time until it is well kneaded.
5. Oil a mixing bowl with olive oil and add the dough.
6. Cover with cling film and leave to prove in a 40*c oven (or in a warm space) for 45 minutes the dough should have tripled in size.
7. Flour the work surface and sprinkle flour on a baking tray.
8. Remove the dough from the oven and gently transfer the dough onto the floured work surface.
9. Shape the dough into 40g buns and place spread out on the baking trays to make sure they don’t stick together as they will grow when baking.
10. Cover in cling film and leave to prove for 30 mins.
11. Remove from the oven and turn the oven up to 195*c
12. Mix the egg yolk and milk and gently brush over the buns.
13. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and flaked salt.
14. Once the oven Comes to temperature bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
15. Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.