Updated: Oct 4, 2021
Serves 4, 1 1/2 hours.
2 celery sticks
4 cloves of garlic
400g 10% fat beef mince
1tsp chilli flakes
1tsp Caster sugar
2tsp Dried basil
1tbs / ¼ cup Tomato puree
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tin chopped tomatoes / tomato passata
¼ bunch of fresh basil (washed and on the stem)
1. Wash and peel the carrot and cut into quarters.
2. Peel the onion and cut into large pieces.
3. Wash the celery and cut the ends off. Then cut into large pieces.
4. Cut the end off the garlic and peel.
5. Add the carrot, celery, onion and garlic into a food processor and blend until it’s finely chopped.
6. In a mixing bowl add the minced beef and ½ of the vegetable mix.
7. Into the beef and vegetables add the chilli flakes, 1tsp of oregano, 1tsp of basil, 1tbs tomato puree, egg, breadcrumbs, ½ tsp sugar, a large pinch of salt and pepper.
8. Using your hands mix the meatball mix until thoroughly combined.
9. Portion into large meatballs, you can also make smaller ones if you prefer. (You should be able to get at least 12 meatballs out of the mix depending on the size of the meatballs)
10. Place them on a plate and wrap in clingfilm. Place them in the fridge for 15 minutes.
11. Meanwhile in a large saucepan bring the pan to medium-high heat and add 3tbs of olive oil.
12. Add the rest of the vegetable mix and cook for 5 minutes until they start to turn golden.
13. Season with salt and pepper and then add in ¼ cup of tomato puree.
14. Cook out the tomato puree for 3 minutes and then add 1tsp of oregano, 1tsp dried basil, 2 cups of vegetable stock and the chopped tomatoes/ passata.
15. Add the remaining ½ tsp of sugar, the fresh basil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
16. Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat.
17. In a deep frying pan add 2 tbs of olive oil and bring to high heat.
18. Add the meatballs and cook on each side until they are brown on each side.
19. Add the tomato sauce into the meatballs and cover with a lid.
20. Leave to cook for 30 minutes at medium-low heat.
21. Taste the sauce for seasoning adding more salt and pepper if need be and then turn off the heat.
22. Keep covered and let it rest for 10 minutes.
23. Remove the fresh basil and serve the meatballs with pasta or any side of your choice!