Updated: Oct 4, 2021
(Makes 3-4 patties) Serves 2, 2 hours
2 large potatoes
75g Savoy cabbage
1/2 white onion
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 bunch Parsley
Salt + pepper
100g Panko breadcrumbs
4 pieces Smoked streaky bacon
1. Wash and peel the potatoes.
2. Cut into quarters and put into a saucepan.
3. Cover with cold water and 1tbs table salt.
4. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 mins or until a fork goes into them easily.
5. Once cooked strain and mash.
6. Add In the butter and mix.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Cool for 20 mins and put into the fridge to cool completely.
9. Shred the cabbage and leeks and wash thoroughly.
10. Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
11. Sauté the onions with the garlic in a pan with some oil.
12. Add the cabbage and leeks.
13. Season with salt and pepper.
14. Sauté until the cabbage is fully cooked.
15. Allow to cool down then place into a container and chill completely in the fridge.
16. Roughly chop the parsley and combine the mash, the veggies, parsley, and garlic salt.
17. Season with salt and pepper.
18. Weigh into 120 g balls.
19. Slightly flatten to create a thick patty shape.
20. In 1 bowl add flour and season with salt, pepper and garlic salt.
21. Beat 1 egg with 1tbs of water in a bowl.
22. Season breadcrumbs with salt and pepper.
23. Roll the patties in the flour and dust off the excess.
24. Lightly coat in the egg mix coat in the breadcrumbs.
25. In a frying pan add oil up to 1cm.
26. Bring the oil to medium heat.
27. Fry the patties until they are golden on the outside.
28. Place in the oven for 15 mins.
29. While they are cooking bring a pan of water to the boil.
30. In a frying pan start frying the bacon until crispy.
31. Crack 2 eggs into small bowls (to make it easier for poaching).
32. Add 1tbs of white wine vinegar into the boiling water and with a spoon mix the boiling water clockwise to create a whirlpool effect to help the eggs keep their shape.
33. Add the eggs into the boiling water and poach for 1minute to 1minute 30 seconds.
34. Take out and place the eggs on kitchen paper along with the bacon to get rid of excess water/ oil and season the eggs.
35. Take the bubble and squeak out the oven and stack on a plate top with the bacon and poached eggs.