Updated: Oct 4, 2021
Serves 4, 2 - 3 hours.
15 sheets of filo pastry
½ cup of butter
1 cup caster sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1tsp orange blossom extract
½ tsp rose water
1 cup fresh raspberries
Vanilla ice cream
1. Pre heat the oven to 180*c and get an oven proof pie or ceramic dish.
2. Melt half the butter in the microwave.
3. In a bowl mix the brown sugar and cinnamon.
4. In a food processor blend the nuts until they are ground small but not a powder.
5. Take out the filo pastry and cut it into large squares large enough to line the cover the dish making sure to leave two sheets large enough to line the dish and cover over the top.
6. Brush the inside of the dish with melted butter and line with the first large sheet of filo pastry.
7. Lightly brush the sheet with melted butter, then layer the next large sheet of filo pastry.
8. Brush the second sheet of filo pastry with butter and lightly sprinkle some of the cinnamon sugar over the pastry and then sprinkle a thin layer of the ground nuts.
9. Layer the first sheet of the smaller square of filo pastry.
10. Brush with butter and then layer another sheet of filo.
11. Start layering 3 sheets of filo pastry brushed with butter, after sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and then nuts.
12. Keep repeating until all the filo pastry has been used to the top of the dish.
13. Fold over the large bottom layer of filo pastry so it completely covers the top.
14. Brush generously with butter and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
15. With a sharp knife carefully cut the baklava into slices without removing from the dish (into triangles if in a round dish or squares if in a square/rectangle dish).
16. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the top of the baklava is golden brown.
17. While it’s baking, in a saucepan add the sugar, water, orange blossom, rose water and lemon juice.
18. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the sugar.
19. Once it’s up to a boil turn the heat down to medium/low and leave to reduce until it becomes a clear syrup.
20. Take the baklava out the oven and pour all the syrup over the baklava evenly and leave to cool for 1 hour.
21. Once it’s cooled, run over the slices with a knife to make sure it’s not stuck together and gently place a slice on a plate.
22. Serve with fresh raspberries and a scoop of the vanilla ice cream.